North York, Ontario
HSE Business Support Partner
HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) Business Support Partner
In partnership with the line organization, the business units and HSE specialty areas, is responsible for the implementation of effective HSE practices and policies in all areas of Health, Safety and Environment (HSE). Projects completed on an as-needed basis. Works with managers and employees to address issues and concerns where judgment is required. Provides business clients guidance with respect to and implements HSE programs, in compliance with regulatory and corporate HSE standards. Works under only very general supervision. Work is reviewed in progress for soundness of judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy. Contributes to the completion of organizational projects and goals. Frequent internal company contacts. Represents organization / location /department on specific HSE matters.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum College Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in, Health, Safety, Environment Sciences
• Minimum 3 years of practical experience with Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
• Knowledge of Safety, Biosafety, and other regulatory requirements a plus
• Previous pharmaceutical and/or laboratory experience is preferred.
The incumbent will be supporting site business partners to improve and sustain HSE performance while not jeopardizing quality and productivity. They will be providing HSE customer support to protect worker health and safety and minimizing impact to the environment.
HSE business support partner :
• Tracks Health Safety and Environmental compliance.
• Drive conformance to the site’s HSE management systems.
• Provides coaching and mentoring to management and staff.
• Proactively monitors business performance and trends and provide regular updates to management.
• Facilitates hazard identification and assists in managing HSE risk with the goal of risk elimination
• Actively participates in department meetings for the business functions they support.
• Participate in HSE inspections and HSE audits.
• Drive on-time completion of accident reporting, hazard reporting and investigations.
• Develop, coordinate and/or deliver HSE-specific training.
• Spend ~80% of their time in the business area they support (specifically on the shop floor).
• Support departmental manager with continuous improvement strategy and program.
• Acts in a timely fashion to address and/or escalates significant high risk items that require immediate attention.
• Be flexible in providing HSE service support across shifts (min 2 shifts per month on off-shifts).
• Communicates back to the HSE team on business performance, current business, lessons learned, wins, and other HSE business.
• Support and monitor HSE audit-ready activities and initiatives, as required.
• Drive implementation of immediate corrections to issues that don’t require a long term action plan.
• Ensure CAPAs are appropriate and effective to prevent recurrence and drive on-time completion of CAPAs.
Other duties as assigned :
• Apply elements of the HSE management system
• Conduct HSE risk assessments as required.
• Enforce change management techniques (HSE Requirements for Projects, change control assessments, etc.) to ensure HSE risks are identified and controlled in the design phases of projects.
• Lead/participate as HSE Department representative for specialized projects, as assigned.
• Simplification of HSE programs and procedures to make them more effective to managers and shop floor employees.
• Participate in and use HSE communication tools (HSE alerts, HSE blotter, etc.).
• Regularly updates Accident and Incident database.
• Use the site’s CAPA tracking system in a timely fashion.
• Participate in HSE on-call rotation for providing guidance and/or response for after-business hour situations and internal emergency response calls.