Location: Cambridge, ON
The Technical Writer will create and edit written content and create illustrations for custom automation systems. Through demonstrated exposure to cutting-edge technologies in the automation field the Technical Writer will execute all documentation activities with a high degree of attention to detail and precision.
• Learn complex concepts and combine text with supporting visual elements to present content as discrete units of information (concepts, tasks, and references).
• Create clear, professional illustrations that support written information that follows company standards
• Maintain clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology in documents.
• Interview subject matter experts.
• Routinely track and record project status.
• Prepare customer documentation shipments, including printed and electronic copies.
• Organize and index third-party manufacturer documentation.
• Photograph systems and components for record-keeping and documentation purposes.
• Archive completed projects.
• Support the training department and complete other duties as assigned.
• Complete all business activities with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the code of Business Conduct and ISO processes.
• Adhere to all health and safety rules and procedures.
Required Education and Experience:
• A university degree or college diploma with demonstrated writing and technical abilities, or equivalent education and related work experience.
• A minimum of two years of experience in technical writing or technical support in an engineering or manufacturing environment.
• Exceptional communication skills (written and oral), and an aptitude for explaining technical information.
• Ability to rapidly learn new software applications and hardware concepts.
• A passion for using visual elements to augment technical content.
• Superior organization and file management practices.
• Ability to juggle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
• Proficiency with Adobe FrameMaker.
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, OneNote, and PowerPoint.
• A mechanical aptitude (an understanding of mechanical systems, pneumatic systems, and PLCs).
Nice to have:
• Experience with CorelDRAW, and Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
• Experience with SolidWorks, and AutoCAD.