Intermediate Programmer/ Developer – Level 1 (Java, Websphere, Oracle)
Programmer/ Developer – Level 1
Cluster: Health Services Cluster
Ministry: Ministry of Health
Assignment Name: Continuous Medical Claims Payment System (MCPS) Sustainment
Anticipated Assignment Start Date: Friday, May 01, 2020
Anticipated Assignment End Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Work Location – 49 Place d'Armes, 4th Floor, Kingston
The Payment & Registration I&IT Solutions (PRS) Branch of the Health Services I&IT Cluster (Cluster/HSC) develops and maintains Medical Claims Payment System (MCPS), a mission critical, legacy system used by the OHIP program to adjudicate over 380 million claims annually and make payments of over $14.3 billion per year to Ontario health care providers.
It is critical that FFS staff are hired to supplement the PRS team as MCPS requires ongoing maintenance and continuous improvement to ensure uninterrupted financial payments to the more than 35,000 health care providers and to support the delivery of healthcare to the citizens of Ontario.
System changes are required monthly to this 45+ year-old system to meet OHIP’s legislative requirements and program area need, to replace or upgrade legacy technology and software systems, and to ensure current IT standards are being met. Numerous non-discretionary I&IT sustainability and software upgrades to MCPS are required over the next year including DB2, ZOS, IMS, COBOL, as well as VSAM conversions.
The Programmer/Developers will provide system solutions that meet the program area’s business requirements implementing these solutions in a timely manner. They will also support the testing team throughout the software development lifecycle. The resources may be required to do similar work related to the role, for other initiatives within the PRS branch, as directed by the manager.
Scope of Services and Deliverables – The Services and Deliverables to be provided by the Vendor will include the following:
• Participate in business requirements walkthroughs
• Analysis of business requirement documents and liaison with clients
• Development and design of new programs or enhancements to existing ones (environment: IBM Mainframe – COBOL and DB2, occasional IMS)
• Creation and walk-through of Systems Response documents, Technical Specifications and Implementation Plans
• Coding of payment programs including new and existing
• Preparation of test plans, test data, and unit-testing of programs
• Preparation of implementation plans and promotion of programs
• As assigned, response to client queries and trouble-shooting of production incidents
• Updates to key knowledge transfer documents such as the Claims System documentation and the Overview of Architected Payment Systems
• Conduct/participate in design walkthroughs as well as test case and test results walkthroughs
• Support testing of the changes by other team members
• The resource may be required to do similar work related to the role, for other initiatives within the HSD branch, as directed by the manager
Rated Criterion Criterion Details
Technical Skills / Experience
• Experience in IBM WebSphere Application Server 8.5
• Knowledge of GO-PKI Security infrastructure
• Experience working in a JavaEE development environment
• Experience working in Java, JSP, Servlet, Servlet, XML, HTML
• Experience with unit testing, software build, deployment and configuration
• Experience with development tools such as Eclipse, and RAD
• Knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians Act (AODA) and experience implementing AODA compliance
• Experience with Oracle an SQL Analytical Skills/Experience
• Analyze business requirements documentation.
• Develop system responses meeting client requirements.
• Analyze, document and resolve incident tickets.
• Design as required solutions and get the designed reviewed and approved.
• Develop (code) as required solutions and get the code reviewed.
• Support the testing process by resolving identified bugs and collaborating as required with system testers.
• Develop and update as required system and support documentation
• Provide as required post-implementation support
• Provide regular reports on status and progress to management
General Skills / Experience
• Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Good consulting skills to engage with all stakeholders
• Demonstrated team player able to work effectively in a team as well as independently
• Good research skills
• Government experience would be an asset